error 10060 connection timed out

Questions about issues/problems of Anyplace Control you have faced with and ways to sort them out

error 10060 connection timed out

Postby Merlin » 16 Jul 2010, 16:15

Hello I was able to connect earlier this week to my host computer and now i keep on getting a error 10060. I have had the host computer reboot along with mine. What is going on?
Merlin

Re: error 10060 connection timed out

Postby Administrator » 16 Jul 2010, 16:17

Error 10060 refers to a connection error, not a software.

The reason of the problem is that a connect or send request failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time. (The timeout period is dependent on the communication protocol.)

I) Check the obvious first: check that the destination address is a valid IP address.

1. Click Windows "Start" button and select menu item "Run..."
2. Enter cmd.exe in the Run dialog and press Enter. You will see black console window.
3. In the window enter the following command:

ping x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x - IP address of the remote PC, for example if remote address is 192.168.0.1 you should enter:

ping 192.168.0.1

4. Press Enter. You will see the diagnostic messages. If you have connection with the remote PC, the messages will have the following pattern:

"Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128"

However if you do not have connection, you will see the following message:

"Request timed out." or some other message

Please, make a screenshot of the a result in black console window.

Note: you can take a screenshot in the following way: press PRT SCR key->Open the MS Paint->Paste the data into MS Paint window->Save as .jpg->Send the saved file to us.

II) If you used a hostname, did it resolve to the correct address?
If the hostname resolution uses a local host table, it is possible you resolved to an obsolete address.
Can you ping that hostname?

III) Did you configure your router? Is the router up and running?
(You can check by pinging it, and then ping an address on the other side of it.)
Try a traceroute to the destination address to check that all the routers are functioning.

IV) Check your subnet mask.
Administrator
Site Admin

Return to Issues and Solutions